Thursday, September 18, 2014

500 Calorie Pumpkin Poke Cake




Last year for Thanksgiving I made a Pumpkin Poke cake using a recipe I found on Pinterest - my family really liked it so I decided to try to make a skinny version of it

The original version used a boxed cake mix and a can of pumpkin to make a cake - then you poke holes in it and pour on a can of sweetened condensed milk, then you spread a tub of cool whip over the whole thing - I don't even want to know how many calories were in that thing


For this version I made a skinny pumpkin cake using Oat Flour, cornstarch, Stevia, Pumpkin, and Peach Puree (you could also use apple sauce but I wanted to experiment with the peach puree)
Then I made a mixture of Almond Milk, Stevia, Pumpkin Pie Spice and Cinnamon to pour over the cake, and I topped it with Soy Whipped Cream

This cake is Gluten free, dairy free, vegan, and there are only 500 calories in the WHOLE THING!






Recipe:

For the Cake:
2 Peach Fruit Cups, blended - 60 cal (may substitute 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce)
1 cup Pumpkin Puree - 80 cal
1/2 Cup Oat Flour - 180 cal
2 tablespoons cornstarch - 60 cal (may not be needed if using apple sauce)
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 cup Stevia - 0  
380 calories

For the Topping:
1/4 cup Almond Milk - 10 cal
1 heaping tablespoon Stevia
Cinnamon & Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste

20 Tablespoons Soy Whipped Cream - 100 cal

= 490 calories Total

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix peach puree(or apple sauce) and pumpkin, add in flour, stevia, and baking soda
3. Add in cornstarch if needed and mix thoroughly
4. Pour into greased or parchment-lined pan (I used a 9 x 13 but I would suggest using a smaller pan to get a thicker cake)
5. Bake about 45 Minutes

6. While cake is baking mix up the Almond milk, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and stevia




7. After cake is finished let it cool, then poke holes about every 2 inches using a chopstick or skewer




8. Pour the Almond milk glaze over the cake, you may not need all of it, only pour as much as the cake will soak in - refrigerate to allow the cake to absorb the glaze


8. After the glaze has soaked in top with Whipped Topping  - to keep track of how much topping I put on I made tablespoon and half tablespoon sized piles around the cake before spreading the topping




9. Refrigerate and enjoy! Be sure to store in the refrigerator!







No comments:

Post a Comment