Monday, September 22, 2014

200 Calorie Apple and Chicken Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash


In honor of the first night of fall I decided to make a fall-inspired dinner for myself, since it was also my first night back in my apartment for school


I have half a peck of honeycrisp apples that I picked myself so I knew I wanted to include those, and I also wanted to try making acorn squash for the first time. To add some protein I decided to also add a link of Chicken Apple Sausage - you could add more but I had italian beef and sausage for lunch, and I usually don't eat very much meat so I didn't want to go into a meat overload



For this recipe you only need 3 ingredients: an acorn squash, an apple, and sausage
This recipe is Gluten free, Dairy free, and Paleo :)




Recipe:(makes 2 servings)
1 small Acorn Squash - 230 calories
1 small Honeycrisp Apple - 80 calories
2 links Applegate Farms Chicken Apple Breakfast Sausage - 80 calories    
= 390 calories total, makes 2 servings, 195 calories per serving



1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Slice open the acorn squash, cutting down the middle from the stem to the pointed end



3. Scoop out the strands and seeds from the middle of the acorn squash
4. Chop up apple and sausage and fill both halves of the squash


5. Place filled squash cut side up in a baking dish(fill the baking dish with about 1/2 inch of water) and cover the dish with aluminum foil
6. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the squash is tender
7. Let cool for 5 minutes before eating, top with cinnamon if desired


No comments:

Post a Comment